Weekly Newsletter #11
The first major of the year is underway
Welcome to The Albatross. Your weekly guide for being on top of all things disc golf. Enjoy this weeks newsletter and have a great weekend!
Last weekend was full of hype with Masters week and Tiger playing. This week it's our turn at W.R Jackson.
On the lead card this week:
- Major #1 of the year - The Players Champions Cup
- A stacked card. High stakes. Who takes it down?
- All the links and content to stay updated
- We got you covered on new discs, merch and the best tips from the week
- Quick recap of The Open at Tallahassee
- Not as stacked of a field but still a great event
Let's tee off 🥏
It's a Major week
The first major of the season is underway. It's taking place at W.R Jackson (a course fav for many) in Georgia.
It's the first weekend in awhile where the majority of the players are back. I can't wait. Here's a course preview.
It's a 4 day tournament. That started yesterday. You can check out live scores on Udisc. This event hasn't been played since 2019. When Calvin Heimburg and Sarah Hokom took it down. In 2018 McBeth beat Simon and Ricky in a 3 way playoff and Catrina took it down on the FPO side.
The Albatross Predictions
- Kristen Tattar
- Valerie Mandujano
- Paige Pierce
Contenders: Hailey King and Catrina Allen
I think this is Kristin Tattar's event to take down. I almost went with Paige (I expect her to be in the mix) and earn Podium. Along with Valerie Mandujano. But I think with the break and coming back refreshed. Kristin will finally earn a victory this season.
Hailey King, is heating up as well and she may just take it down. But I expect her to be top 5 or win it. But I lean with the former. I also have to include, Catrina. I was going to go with Eveliina but putting is killing her momentum off the tee.
You can catch up on round 1 of yesterdays FPO feature card. Courtesy of GK Pro
- Paul McBeth
- Calvin Heimburg
- Drew Gibson
Contenders that might take it down: Ricky Wyoscki, Andrew Marwede and James Conrad
I'm going with the goat. Paul wins a lot. But when it matters most. McBeast mode activates.
Calvin took this event down back in 2019. I think Calvin wins a major this year. It might even be this one. But he choked against Ricky at Texas States and I think Paul wants to redeem himself. Nonetheless I expect it'll come down to these two.
For my final podium pick, I'm going with Drew Gibson over Ricky. I know Ricky is going to be up there. He's arguably the best along with Paul. But I think Drew is going to win a major or two over the next 2-3 years. I think the break he took will bring him with refreshed energy. Also his win at Vegas shows he's ready to compete at the highest level.
Marwede is a beast when it comes to wooded golf. And there's plenty of that at W.R Jackson. Expect Marwede to be high on the leader board. And last but not least. Mr. Conrad. He's been picking up the pace and climbing the rankings. I think James Conrad is going to start turning things around and get back into weekly contention. He'll be pushing for the win come Sunday. I can't wait to see how this weekend plays out.
In the mean time. Check out Round 1 highlights below. Or you can watch round 1 from Jomez
In case you missed it | Tips to improve your game 🤔
Catch up on the week: 👇
- McBeth is a staple for form.
- Iceberg TV dropped a great video on his footwork
- James Conrad (one of my picks for this weekend to do well) seemed to do well on the course. In a practice round with Nate Perkins
- Support Scott Stockley on tour with his signature tour series discs
- Catch up on the college disc golf results here.
- Love watching these Ironman Match ups. This week? Ricky vs Matty-O
- What's better to have? Distance or putting mastery? You'd be surprised to see who the leaders are (not your usual tournament winners). Both matter. But I'm picking putting.
- Last week we mentioned that Heather Young was going to step away from the tour for awhile. She spoke about it on the Nick and Matt Show.
- Jomez practice rounds are a perfect way to unwind and relax. Plus you get a good preview for the course. This week they brought Adam Hammes on
The 2022 Open at Tallahassee
The event was pretty quiet last weekend. A lot of players opted out of it. To get some rest and extra preparation for the Major this week. But nonetheless it was a fun event to watch before this weekends tournament.
FPO: Stacie Hass has Arrived!
It seems like every week we see a new generation of players with high potential. Add Stacie Hass to that list. She was able to take down the event this weekend. She averaged 967 rated golf. Expect to see more of her on tour this year!
MPO: Bazooka Take Down!
Albert Tamm took down the event with ease. He started off hot with the hot round (pun intended). Doing the same thing on Saturday. It would be enough to win comfortably and hold off Matty-O's climb from 3rd card. He's the 2nd European (3rd if including Simon Lizotte) to win a DGPT event. Tamm has high potential and I hope he'll put some excellent rounds together to earn some more podiums and potentially another victory.
What's cooking next week? 🍳
- Recap of the first major🏆
- Preview for the next Elite Series Event - Jonesboro Open
- Enough links, content and drops to be the most educated golfer on the course 🤓
Be sure to share The Albatross Disc Golf Newsletter. I'll be doing a giveaway every month. This month's giveaway (announced in May) is a Tour Series Buzzz!
Until next week,
-Arod @ The Albatross
What did you think of this weeks newsletter?
April 14th, 2022
A winter round in April 🥶 ❄️
— The Albatross (@thealbatrossDG)
Apr 15, 2022
Yeah it snowed again in Minnesota in mid April 😒